I love Italian food, and of course, pasta is off the menu with Keto, unfortunately. However, this Keto friendly meatball and ricotta bake with spinach hits the spot and satisfies my craving for Italian food!
You can make the meatballs homemade of course, but I like to use the premade ones at the grocery for convenience. Just make sure you find the ones made without corn syrup and breadcrumbs, check the ingredients!
I like to use an iron skillet for this. I find that it gives a better browning on the meat, and of course, it’s oven safe. In a little olive oil, brown the meatballs on med-high heat. We’re just looking to brown them, not cook them through just yet. Once seared, add in your jar of marinara. If you fancy, snuggle some chopped (fresh or frozen) spinach into the sauce. Add in dollops of ricotta around the pan.
Place into an oven preheated to 350, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the meatballs reach an internal temp of 165. Depending on their size, they may take less or more time.
Once done, sprinkle 2 cups or so of shredded mozzarella on top of everything and put back in the oven on broil. Broil until the cheese is browned and bubbly!
I devour this as-is since I follow a keto/low carb way of eating. My husband, however, had his on a hoagie roll then toasted it under the broiler. I love recipes that I can adapt for everyone in the family!
Keto Meatball Ricotta Bake
- iron skillet
- 6-8 large meatballs homemade or store-bought
- 24 oz Rao's Marinara
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen spinach optional
- 2 cups mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Preferably in an iron skillet (or another oven-safe pan) with about 1 tbls olive oil, sear the meatballs, turning often to brown all sides. They do not need to be cooked through.
- Pour in the jar of marinara, and add spinach. Make sure spinach and meatballs are incorporated into the sauce.
- Add dollops of ricotta around the pan.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake for 15-20 mins until the internal temperature of the meatballs is at least 165.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top of the meatball bake and return to oven, set to broil.
- Remove when the cheese has browned and looks amazing!